Sunday, April 6, 2008

Lack of Communication

Charlton Heston has passed away at age 84. He had Alzheimer symptoms but they are not saying that was the cause of death. Maybe they forgot? (Sorry ... bad.) This really doesn't affect me but I'm close to two situations that deal with age, dying and dementia at the moment, so Charlie's death got me thinking. First, George just left to visit his dad at Scripps in San Diego. They will release him to a Skilled Nursing Facility tomorrow for 90 days. He is 82, but he does not have dementia. His heart was a mess and the doctors decided to replace 5 or so arteries and 3 valves. He's having a rough go of recuperating, but, 82 and a possible new lease on life for a few years! You go dad!. Second, my mom. Her medications are either not working or they are making her worse. She was dropped off at a 99 Cent Store for a couple of hours of shopping by the care facility personnel. They forgot about her for 3 or so hours and she forgot where she lived and who to call. Thank goodness the manager of the store called the home (albeit the OLD home she WAS in a year ago), who then called my sister, who then called the NEW home and chewed out their asses. Mom is supposed to be the one with dementia and mental issues, NOT the lame-O's who are supposed to be watching her! The thing that is sad (in addition to mom's situation) is the State of California has complete legal custody of her ... we can do nothing except chew out their asses if they mess up, but they are under no obligation to listen to said butt-chewing. Mom's mom died at age 78 of strokes and dementia ... mom will be 74 as of May 31. If she's lucky she'll remember who she is if for only a little while on her birthday, but that's probably a false hope.

* * *

On a different note ... I'm supposed to be in two places at once this afternoon (again and as usual *sigh*). Valley View's flag team is going to Dayton for WGI World Championships and they are hosting a Bon Voyage (I am soooo proud of them!). What a mess of a planning session THAT has been. The Prez of the Booster IMP asked me to plan it (even after I told him last December that I am NOT DOING ANY MORE FOR THE BAND because I'm burned out) because he is at a military training conference. I told him yes IF I got help, etc. No word on the help so I wrote an email telling people I needed help and got an email back that basically said "Why are you doing this? We've been working on it for 3 weeks and everything is decided and planned." Well, isn't that peachy? I'm happy and sort of tweaked at the same time. I'm happy the event is ready to stage; I'm tweaked because there was a serious lack of communication here that BOTH of us were asked to do this, and I was spinning my wheels doing things and worrying for actually no reason. I'm glad I'm "retired" from doing major events.

Second place I'm supposed to be at the same time is to pick up Sarah from RYLA. She REALLY had a total fit and tantrum about going on Friday morning - totally stressed about 3 days away from her bf (but forget the benefits and the good things she will learn ... being away is unbearable! Oh Romeo, Romeo ...) No surprise then that George and I got the phone call on Friday night that she was throwing up and sick. First she's throwing up and sick because she's at 8000 ft. (altitude sickness) and she gets car sick (4 hours in a bus didn't help this). Second she has a stomach condition and can't eat heavy sugars, fat and meat, and is allergic to dairy products. What do they give her Friday night for dinner? Cheese and Pepperoni Pizza and a soda!!!! On top of altitude and motion sickness? OMFG someone at Rotary is going to be missing an ear next week. IT'S ON THE MEDICAL AND SPECIAL REQUEST FORMS PEOPLE. Can you read?!?! We haven't heard a peep from her since Friday night which indicates (to quote Mr. Spock) 1) she is unable to respond; 2) she is unwilling to respond. I'm curious which.

So, do I choose helping at an event showcasing hormonal guard team members that I did not have a hand in planning? or do I drive out and meet a hormonal, sick teenager's bus? I think I'll opt for the bus, mostly because she's my kid but also because it's only one hormonal teen versus 70.

No comments: